Monday, June 6, 2011

Musings, Summer and Marriage

Lest it be assumed that my last post was a subtle exit to blogging, I am back.

An outlet for my thoughts. A motivation for honest reflection. Whatever my purpose may be, it seems I must persist because there is something that pushes me to.

My children are presently riding down the carpeted stairs with their legs in pillowcase sleds. It's SUMMER!! They are loud and laughing and probably should be outside and someone very well may get hurt, but my kids are from Minnesota and so on a 90 degree day they would rather be inside. If I was a motivated Mom we would be at the beach but we have enough outdoor plans lined up for the week for me not to feel too guilty. So today we are inside and apparently putting creativity to the test...and so...I get to blog.

I was ready for summer throughout most of May and it wasn't just because of the cold days. My creativity had vanished with no return in sight and we were all just plugging away to simply just be DONE. Kindergarten, 1st and 3rd grade completed respectively, our last day felt victorious, but mostly because we had persevered with our relationships still intact. We had a great year but we were just all ready to put our pencils down for a bit. And this is what I realized this morning: it feels so good to just be "Mom" and take a break from: keeper of the school schedule, making sure we accomplish all our educational goals for the day, week, month.
Reading Swiss Family Robinson all snuggled on the couch (me with my 3rd cup of coffee), playing cards games after breakfast, spending a lazy Sunday outdoors playing and chatting with neighbors - THIS is the break I knew I needed. Time for kids to play and moms to chat almost every day this week, bonfires after bedtime, getting ready for long visits with grandparents - my kids agree that this is good for ALL of us.

I'm embracing summer!


One more thing I had to mention before June progressed any farther:

May 31 marked 14 years of marriage to a remarkable man that I get to call MINE!



We spent 4 days and 3 nights at our new favorite vacation destination: Duluth. At the risk of sounding cliche, WOW this marriage thing really does grow richer, fuller, BETTER with time. That whole wine analogy is really right on. To emphasize the point, we celebrated with an Italian dinner and red vino....no fool did I marry, he's known my love language from day 1.

Here's a new beauty from this 14th year worth sharing: I have finally, of my very own accord, become a student of the "processes are helpful" school my husband has long been teaching to many others. My husband: the gifted visionary leader with a trouble-shooting, administrative mind whose natural bents are so contrary to my own...and I am just now willing to take my own big girl steps into his world. Shane has been mentored in a fabulous strategic plan called "Intentional Living" and we took time on our little getaway for him to walk me through how it works. I am still wrestling my way through understanding it and truly diving in, seeking the Lord's wisdom on all that He wants to teach my very undisciplined mind and being. So I'm saving that for another post...when I emerge with something closer to helpful articulation. Let me tell you though, I think it's gonna be good stuff.
But for now can I just say - my husband is a ROCKSTAR! I am so grateful God has made him gifted in so many ways that I am not because my sharp edges and extremes have become softer and less pronounced.

What appears as opposite and contrary is instead a beautiful blending of God's design. While time may be a factor (and I do love a tasty analogy) I know it can really only be God's patient grace that has created such a balance and richness in our relationship, one that promises of even greater beauty to come.
He's aiming towards a much greater resemblance...a glimpse of Himself.

That just blows my mind...could there be any greater reason to be married???

I'm thanking God He had my best and His glory in mind when He gave me Shane 14 years ago...my smile is even bigger today.

No comments: