Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Still Learning

What do newspapers, muffins and homeschooling have in common?

Huh?! Exactly!
Random, yes, but they have each had a propelling purpose in my life lately. Wanna know why?




Newspapers...I LOVE to read, ever have since phonics in Kindergarten. Thanks to a mom who brought my brothers, sister and I to the library on a weekly basis, I have long been a library geek. Thanks to a dad who was wise to shoot the tv and keep it out of our home for several years, I have learned to ENJOY reading for both entertainment and education. If I'm being honest though, I appreciate the diving-into-another-world part of reading more than the enhancing-the-grey-matter-in-my-head kind. Consequently, I am less "informed" than I should be and, since I am still a big fan of paper and ink, it seemed a good idea to invest in receiving the Sunday paper again. Shane actually gave me the nudge with his own desire for better access to local news and I don't know if our Sunday edition is being delivered by such an adorable little paper boy but it's being delivered nonetheless.
If you thought the newspaper was my point, it's not...remember I said propelling?
So, do you know what is snuggly enclosed in each Sunday Star Tribune? You're already ahead of me aren't you? No, I'm not referring to the sport's page although that IS the first thing I look for. Nope...I'm referring to manufacture's coupons. I can't believe I have been married for over 13 years and am just figuring out that there is actually FREE money for the taking in the Sunday paper!! I know you savvy couponners are shaking your head at my ignorance, don't worry I am too. Grocery shopping, though still one of my least favorite activities, has at last achieved a small sense of appeal in that little phrase at the bottom of my receipt: You have saved $$$ and just yesterday that number was close to 40!! I may have been frugal with sale items before but this is a whole new level of thrifty.





Muffins...this explanation will be shorter...I never said I was concise though...I am my mother's daughter (mom, you're laughing right?). OK, so muffins. Did you know if you have no idea what to do with a giant zucchini that your husband's boss gives you that you can make MANY muffins, enough to feed your neighbors and then some? Did you also know that when you deliver said muffins to a particular neighbor's home on a beautiful Sunday afternoon that she might just venture out later with her little boy who is intrigued by your children and proceed to sit on your porch and chat with you and your husband for over an hour? She might even ask about your church and if she could come with you next week because she has been searching for one and started reading her Bible recently. Had you any idea muffins could precipitate something supremely more significant? Why am I only now learning these simple lessons... at 36?!?





This is a picture I found in google images for homeschooling and I had to use it - so classic novel looking, isn't it? Trust me, it was better than a lot of the other options.
If you didn't already know, this is my third year homeschooling our kiddos. Each year has collectively been more enjoyable and more challenging and this year I found myself teaching 3 school age children for the first time. I was slightly nervous...ok, quite a bit more than slightly. I recall praying this summer to the tune of, "Lord, I don't know how I will do this and I need HELP!" As I look back, it is amazing to see the small nudges and various ideas that have all come together in a PLAN (it's a new word for me so I have to capitalize it) and an organized Heather has emerged that I do not recognize (I think Shane has blinked a few times to clear his vision). Where did she come from and where has she been the last 18 years of my adulthood?? I do believe God's plan of uniting me to my perfect opposite 13 years ago is finally paying off because I know if I would have been a little more humble earlier on these lessons would not be so new to me.

So what can I say? I could say, "Heather, you are a helplessly slow learner...pretty pitiful". I could, and it would be true. But that just makes me feel hopeless and depressed.

No, I'm taking another route on this one. I'm going for: "Heather, you have a great and patient God who has not given up on you. He is unfailingly determined to sanctify you and teach you the small and big things that will bring you closer to looking like His Son. Heather, thank Jesus for His work in your life and praise Him for His creativity and transforming power".

Amen. Amen. I am.

No comments: