So, after several months of "stop and go" reading, I FINALLY finished Beth Moore's book So Long, Insecurity, and if you've read it also then you know why it took me so long. A good portion of it made me wonder if I really wanted to read the next paragraph and continue on the uncomfortable path of seeing my own insecurities (which apparently I am not alone in) so blatantly spelled out. Then I figured since Mrs. Beth Moore, being first off a woman herself and secondly a trusted author, could show boldness and vulnerability in her writing then I could summon up the courage to keep reading. I'm glad I did!This is the type of book that will meet the individual reader at a unique intersection in their own personal journey. At the same time, I think it's a worthwhile read for every woman because Beth has the ability to speak to the heart of issues that are universal no matter how differently they are displayed in each of our lives. So whether or not you will resonate with the particular lessons I have gleaned from this book is unknown to me but for the sake of my own soul learning I'll reiterate a bit here because there is a nugget of truth I want to really grab hold of.
Not that long ago I would have placed the term "insecurity" under the category of "emotion". One more word in the list of "feelings" that are too often out of the reach of my understanding and control. This quote, and the entire chapter, "The Power to Choose", was one of the lightbulb moments for me: "Insecurity is more than a complex emotion. It is a lie about our God-sanctioned condition. While something may cause us to feel sad, confused, angry or threatened, we have the power to choose whether or not it gets to assault our security."
It would be foolish to believe that such a power of choice is possible in my own strength. Beth confirms that as she addresses the presence of the Spirit of God that establishes the firm footing of any follower of Jesus Christ. So why is my stance in security so shaky at times? Now I am no scientist, my homeschooled children will verify that fact for you, BUT I do believe this portion of the book inspired a few new synapses (now you really think I'm smart) within the intricate confines of my brain. In my language that means: "Something clicked!" And here it is: The assumption that my security must be held hostage by my emotions is unsupported by any shred of truth. What?? Really?? (Insert cool sci fi sound effect of neurons transmitting here.)
Let's detail this train of thought some more: The feelings brought on by rejection, loneliness, humiliation, intimidation, and all other manner of negativity that perpetuates my emotions on a downward spiral DO NOT have a say in my (praise Jesus!) identity as a daughter of my Heavenly Father. If I am secure in Him then I am SECURE period. Sound like a simple thought? It is but it's been a profound message for me and apparently one I needed to here.
Now listen, this is just one tidbit from my personal journey of soul stretching and it's also my own interpretation. I make no claims to be a vessel of godly wisdom as Beth has been chosen by God to be, but I am sure thankful His patient grace is available to teach me through any means necessary. If you would like to experience a sigh of relief in knowing you are not alone than this is a great coffee (my personal beverage of choice, you pick yours) companion. If you are feeling gutsy, or even if you're not, I don't think you will regret investing some reading time with this one and maybe you already have!
One way or another, be it at an intersection, a rest stop or a shoulder off the busy highway of your life, I pray that you would meet with Jesus, the One who holds your precious life in the security of His hands.
1 comment:
Hey Friend, I have been wanting to read this book and even listened to a few chapters on line. Thanks for the insight and encouragement. What a great way to start my Wednesday. And I can't help but think, have you ever thought of writing a book someday?? Sending my love.
Valerie
Post a Comment