To be honest, I just love any opportunity God gives me to tag along with Shane on one of his trips. First off, I just like being with the guy because he is my "main squeeze" and time with him is one of my absolute favorite things in this world. Secondly, time to drive in the car just the 2 of us is also very desirable and not to be taken for granted. 4 hours of conversation between just US?? (and God intermittently) - unheard of!! Thirdly, it's a moment of "big people" ministry (as opposed to the "little people" ministry I am daily immersed in) that is so special to be able to do together...those opportunities are more rare for us in this stage of our lives and so I am REALLY thankful when we get them. Fourthly, this kind of stuff is great for OUR marriage (yes we are pretty selfish on that one) - all that God gives us to share is first and foremost a necessary truth for our own lives.
OK, so enough about me right? I mean we did go to serve others, right? DEFINITELY, but I can't help but marvel at God's gracious way of blessing us in the process. What a kind Father we have, don't we?
So, moving on from myself (please, Heather, move it along)...let me get back to the party. OK, maybe it wasn't a party in a traditional sense - no streamers or balloons, cakes, dancing (well, I can't speak for what couples did on their own in their rooms), etc...but I can tell you that there was a Joy present that can only be attributed to the presence of One who brings it in it's truest form...His Presence. What more do we need right? And can't those moments of joy be considered a party?
His Presence was evident to me in so many different ways but I'm going to choose one to highlight for you - His children. It was a beautiful thing to see such a variety of faces and hear many different stories, all representing the work of God to reach this generation of students. Yes, there were traces of weariness, evidence of heavy burdens and even signs of discouragement but I would expect as much for soldiers in such an intense battle. Jesus gave us a great example in His pattern of moving away from the crowds and drawing near to the Father throughout His earthly ministry. He knew He needed times of refreshment and refocus, so how much more then do we need them? And this was the real beauty for me...seeing the Father renew and speak to His children as they took time to "move away".
Thanks to Rob and Nancy Weise for hosting and making Oasis happen - I believe it truly was an "oasis" for the body, mind and soul. Such a great combination of drawing near to the Father like I mentioned above AND the resulting refreshment from time in His presence overflowing in joyful and supportive community. So you see - it WAS the ultimate party. What a great privilege it is to be in God's family isn't it?
No comments:
Post a Comment