This precious boy turned 6 yesterday...doesn't he just make you want to smile right back?
On Saturday we had a special family day celebrating Gavin's life and all that he brings to ours. A couple different times throughout the day we watched old videos of his "earlier" days and found ourselves laughing at his antics and cuteness, which usually involved his siblings in some way. It was such a refreshing time for me and also reflective as I looked back on how very small they once were and how quickly the time has passed since then. I told Shane that sometimes I wonder if I do really have adequate memories from the early baby stages because often it feels more like a blur. Even more, that makes me thankful for technology that allows me to look back in time to such precious moments.
So here is where my reflectiveness has led me, which brings me a bit closer to my post heading. : ) I have an increased longing to grab hold of these moments that seem even more fleeting to me than they did a few days ago. Now today, after this morning's sermon at our church, I have an inkling of why I am experiencing some regret over the passing of time. I don't know that I have regularly been a mom who has taken hold of Godly wisdom but rather I think have spent more time being distracted by my own human "wisdom". Let me try to explain this...
Our text this morning was from James 3:13-18, a beautiful passage that breaks down this distinction so clearly. I don't intend to preach to you (I DO understand the concept of spiritual gifts and which ones I do NOT possess) but let me share what has struck my heart most from these truths. Godly wisdom is a lifestyle of humility - it is not knowledge attained. It IS a gift from God I must ask for daily, moment by moment - it IS from above. It IS pure, peace-loving, open to reason, full of mercy, impartial and sincere. Human wisdom, on the other hand, is completely self-serving and anti-others.. To be honest, I don't know if I have seen wisdom through the perspective of relationships before, at least not as clearly as I did today. As well, I felt a scale removed from my eyes of seeing my own lack of this precious Godly wisdom. It came to me in God's revealing my own self-serving heart and, for some reason, most often in my role as "Mom". Maybe it's because those poor tikes get the most of me and so that means they get the most junk too. Regardless, my heart was convicted and at the same time grateful for the Father's discipline and instruction.
So, as accountability for me and hopefully helpful encouragement to you, I am going to leave you with some practical points of action/thought from verse 17 that our pastor gave to us today:
- If I'm wise, I won't compromise my integrity.
- If I'm wise, I won't antagonize your (another's) anger.
- If I'm wise, I won't minimize your feelings.
- If I'm wise, I won't criticize your suggestions.
- If I'm wise, I won't emphasize your mistakes.
- If I'm wise, I won't disguise my own weaknesses.
I found these to be really practical and applicable to my own life and I pray they will be for yours as well. Remember, the wonder and grace is that the Godly wisdom that allows these areas to be transformed is not our own doing but a precious gift from our Father who gives generously to His children. Ask Him for His wisdom...today, now, continually, and let Him bless you with all you need and more.
Blessings friends,
Heather
1 comment:
Thanks, Heather! That is a really good insight. God has been challenging me lately about trusting in my wisdom rather than His, as well. So this is a great reminder!
Post a Comment