Sunday, March 1, 2009

Personal...

Well so much for hearing from me this past week.  The reason though is evidence of God's grace in my life as He provided ways for the kids and I to stay busy in fun ways.  I shouldn't be surprised at His grace but sometimes I am.  I find that I am awed at the fact that He has provided a Christian neighbor just a few houses down the street, and a great friend (who works at the National Ofc. with her husband) who I met "by chance" before even moving here and who has been such a gift in this transition, a church that is already providing community and other "mom friends", a home in exactly the kind of neighborhood we had prayed for and, trust me, there is even more.  He used each one of these "provisions" this past week to show me that He cares about the moments we will be separated as a family and that He has a reason for bringing us to this city and the other specific places He will bring us to.  I feel silly for doubting Him yet am also grateful for how personal our Father is.

Our son Gavin turned five on Friday and so for his birthday I thought it might be fun to head to Fargo and visit some friends and stay overnight.  That was my first ever driving venture with the kids by myself (we have to fly to see family) and although I was a little apprehensive I was motivated by the adventure and the chance to see friends.  I am glad to say the kids were troopers - I am so proud of them!  I visited with a few friends that I wanted to see most, which included the kid's buddies, and it was so refreshing for all of us.  It was like the feeling of wearing your most comfortable shoes or clothes, completely relaxing into the coziness of people who know you well and love you anyway. : )  On the drive home I had almost 4 hours of quiet, a blissful rare moment, as the kids were listening to a book on cd and then sleeping. (I knew there was a good reason for driving back at night).   Seriously I cannot remember the last time I had all that time to pray and reflect and I am glad for it.  With each mile towards home I felt myself transitioning from the comfortable familiarity of Fargo to the stretching newness of Minneapolis.  With some surprise I realized I didn't mind coming back.  But wait, don't I love and crave what is comfortable?  Yes, that is still definitely true.  So how is it possible that getting off the 38th St. exit of 62 East in South Mpls. felt so right?  Well I guess partly because my husband was waiting at home having just returned from Texas (woohoo!) but also because God has been gracious in reminding me of His faithfulness in very tangible ways.  And He knows better than I how much I need it.  Talk about personal.

Have you seen His tangible touch of grace in your life recently?  I can attest to the fact that you can easily miss it if you're not looking.  I am praying you will be encouraged to know that our God is PERSONAL and He doesn't discriminate and you will always find evidence of His grace in your life.  In fact, I'd love to hear about it because seeing God at work in other people's lives really encourages me and it's worship to Him!  So don't be shy. : )

Until next time...
Heather

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Hi Heather ~

Thanks for stopping by my blog. It has been a great outlet for me! And I've found some wonderful invisible Christian women that I "talk" to almost daily. It's a great community!

About God's touches of grace. Yesterday we had our women's Bible study and fellowship, Yada, and I didn't find out until I got there that it was my table's turn to bring food. I tried to brush it off as no big deal (as the coordinators told me to do) and some women got very upset that there was not food. Seriously, not a big deal, it's 9:30 and we get done at 11. I got upset, and said fine, and stormed out of the room to run to the store. I was mostly angry about the lack of grace shown by the women...the older women. I was disappointed. Anyway, another woman from my table ran up beside me and said she was coming along and was going to pay for the food. She's such a bubbly person and I really just wanted to wallow in my anger, disappointment, embarrassment and here comes "Miss Perky." But it was such a blessing because by the time we got back to church with the food I was in a better mood.

God showed me grace by sending a happy friend along to pay for the food. I guess it made me realize that I wasn't being very gracious either. It's such a cycle.

I'm so glad that you opened up your blog to comments. Can't wait to stop by more often.

Heather said...

Thanks for sharing Jessica - oh don't you just love how God chases us when we want to hide away and hang onto how we're feeling. Thanks for sharing your recent experience of His grace. I'm hoping to post again this weekend - it's a great motivator for me to be reflective and really take a look at what God is teaching me and saying to me. I intend to visit your blog often as well. : ) Blessings!!