Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Kindness

This thought has been ruminating in my mind ever since I took my own little adventure a few weeks ago to Fargo, ND, along with Isaac and Ruthie:

God is kind.

I'm not one for complicated reflections. My mind tends to process mostly simple truths but I'm learning how much weight they carry.

Jumping right to the point, here is my evidence:





The pictures above represent 3 families who became first-time parents right alongside us. The 3 oldest, all boys, were born within months of each other. We lived life together in Fargo, practically and socially, and as new moms we bonded in a very special way. From walks to the park, play/coffee dates in each of our homes, church small group and MOPS, to more simultaneous pregnancies, siblings and then preschool and Kindergarten carpool while we watched our babies grow up together. It was a sweet and stretching season when the value of a friend who lived in your same insanity was refreshing and priceless.


Then there were people like the ones pictured below. Family, away from family. Those who opened their arms, hearts and homes to Shane and I and our little brood. Once our first child was born they took him in their arms at the hospital and never let go. Because of them we had tremendous support to continue to serve together and time to build into our marriage. Their generosity brought us meals, date nights and a mission trip to the DR while they practiced to be future grandparents and got the midnight call when baby #2 came along. They chose to embrace us even as we grew and, consequently, etched their names permanently into our family tree.



Life changes though, doesn't it? Circumstances have a way of messing up the logistics of relationships and we don't always get to keep all that we want to.

Minnesota is the 3rd state we have lived in since we were married almost 14 1/2 years ago. We have experienced change and the hard realities of letting go. Our first move was the hardest of the three because it took us far from both of our families and my heart struggles still between longing and contentment.

With history as a teacher, you can imagine the anxiety I felt in leaving yet another precious community of people in Fargo to move to Minneapolis. We were following a call from God we were secure in because of who we knew and know Him to be, yet that did not ensure we could pack up our friendships as easily as our belongings. I had hopes but had to leave my hand open.

Three years later and God's kindness is seen in the pictures above as we continue to experience the love and friendship of those who know us so well, adults and kids alike.

This is a gift.

I have come to learn that such sustainability in relationships is not a guarantee in the transitions of life. I have also learned that God's love within only causes our hearts to grow as we welcome the new. Substitutions are not mandatory.

I have a sweet saying that sits framed on my piano surrounded by the faces of one of these dear families. It reads, "The most beautiful discovery that true friends can make is that they can grow separately without growing apart". - Elizabeth Foley

I am so grateful that God's kindness has made this to be true for us.

1 comment:

Angel said...

So very true Heather! I am so thankful that God has been gracious and kind to us that we can come down once a month! Looking forward to hanging out at the end of November!

Much love -