Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Teacher Mom

I put my helmet back on this week, the one that reads "Home Educator". Though many days it looks like my favorite blue Red Sox cap or Shane's brown hat, it is definitely more of a helmet. Baseball caps are cute and handy on no-shower days, but if you've been watching football this past weekend you would have noticed only the guys on the sidelines are wearing 'em. In the game, on the field ACTION requires a helmet. This year I feel a little less like a rookie but definitely nowhere close to Tom Brady. And that's about as far as I'm taking that analogy.

Something cool that I have seen already in this first week is evidence of God's grace and intimacy. It's very easy for me to feel overwhelmed at all the different areas of academics (let alone every other facet of their growth) we should be focusing on and each of our kids are so unique that pinpointing can be challenging for me. The very first day of this week God gave me eyes to see and ideas that I know were not my own. It was such a sweet display of His presence with me as well as a humbling reminder of my dependence on Him. I am not a trained nor skilled educator yet as I depend on and trust in Him I am enabled to put on my helmet and be an active part of the many ways He is growing our children. It's a cool adventure and I still get scared and I am so glad He is with me.

I read an article today written by Reb Bradley (not sure at all who he is but it was posted on a blog I check out now and again) and pulled this quote from it. It's worth reading in it's entirety.


"If our children grow up motivated only by fear of consequence, they will eventually get away with what they can whenever we are not around (Eph 6:6). If we have their hearts they will seek to honor us whether we are present or not, and their hearts will remain open to our influence."

Really good words for this Teacher Mom to hear.


Blessings friends.

No comments: