Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Speaking of Moms

I know and love many moms but there are only two people in my life that I know and love and call Mom.

I'm feeling the need to take some time to honor each of them and I don't know if my words will do justice to who they truly are but I am going try. You've been fairly warned: this has the great possibility of being lengthy.

First off we have the wonderful, beautiful woman that I have called some form of "Mom" for the past 37 years.



She's my Mom and the perfect one for me. We have a lot in common, her and I, from short stature and smile to favorite colors and addiction to comfort foods, specifically Italian. We both would say an ideal day is one where we are snuggled up in bed with a cup of coffee and a good read. My gift of "shmoozing" was definitely honed under her mentorship. I remember when a friend from college met my mom for the first time and he said, "I just met you 30 years from now". It's only been 15 years since then and I'm well on my way to fulfilling that prediction, one I receive as a high compliment. More than 10 of those years have been spent halfway across the country from the woman that spent so much of herself in nurturing me. Not the perfect scenario we would wish for but the distance is only about geography. We have countless "thank you Comcast for unlimited minutes" phone chats and weeks long visits together to prove that we really like each other A LOT.



My mom's name is Margie and I am so grateful not only for the gift of a special relationship with her but also the many ways that she points me to Jesus. She has a gift for talking to just about anyone, including people in my neighborhood that I have never met and random strangers in public establishments. She's the kind of person that offers a glass of cold water to the UPS delivery guy on a hot summer day. Many of MY friends have sat at her kitchen counter to chat and find a listening ear along with the cookies she spontaneously whipped up. She eagerly shares what the Lord is teaching her and has never forsaken the role of student of His Word. She blesses my whole family with her love and time and gifts, her language of love, whenever she is visiting, we are visiting her, via the USPS...whatever way she can think of. She is GENEROUS with both her time and resources and she is TIRELESS in her service to her family. She extends herself beyond the boundaries of family to bless others with whatever talent the Lord has given her.

I'm glad God created me to be Heather and I am thankful that means I get to look a whole lot like Margie because it's the Jesus in her I want most to mark who I am becoming.

I love you mucho Mom!


And then, as if God was trying to one-up Himself on the blessings...

almost 17 years ago I met this lovely lady....her name is Jeanne...and I get to call her Mom too.


I could love her simply on the fact that she prayed for, birthed and raised the man who was crazy enough to pursue me and make me his wife. If you've ever met her than you know there is much more to love than that one glorious reality. She says I'm sweet but I think she is much sweeter. She is much more patient than I am. She serves others in ways I wouldn't take the time to and with a faithfulness and consistency that amazes me. She, too, is a student of God's Word and exemplifies a humble and teachable spirit. She also has a supremely goofy side that she most definitely passed down to her son and grandchildren. She puts herself eye level and heart level with her grandchildren so she can truly BE with them. She tells me this was something she wishes she did more as a mom and I believe she is blessing her children now more than she realizes because of the way she loves their kids. The character of Jesus shines so brightly through her.




I love spending time with this special lady, chatting and laughing, and I realize what an enormous gift that is to have not only a healthy relationship with my mother-in-law but a thriving one. I don't want to take that for granted yet, sadly, I know I most likely have at different times. From the moment I met her, and even after knowing how hard I made her son chase me, she accepted me with open arms. She has never, ever made me feel less than worthy to be married to Shane and she treats me like her own daughter. We have many similar tastes too and she will often purchase 2 of the same thing, one for me and one for her. She gives generously to all of us with her time, resources and love.

I'm so thankful that in marrying a great man I also gained another great mother.

I love you very much Mom!


And the Giver keeps in giving...

I have the privilege of glimpsing the beauty of both of these special women in my Ruthie girl. The way she likes to neatly fold her clothes and line objects up just so. The generous spirit that is growing inside of her to give gifts and give of herself in friendship to others. Her servant heart that will often ask, "Can I help Mama?". The sweet way she expresses her love in coloring pictures and making cards to give to the special people in her life. Even her spunky, strong-willed self that emerges now and again. Just as I have been blessed, so has she.


Two women uniquely created by God but similar in so many ways.

Even better, they've become great friends, thanks to Shane and I. : )

We may have introduced them to each other, but I know it's their mutual following of Jesus Christ that unites them.

Together, they are passing on a legacy that I am so grateful for...for myself, for our children and, please Lord, for the generations that may follow.


Happy Mother's Day to my Moms!!!!

1 comment:

Lui Nobrega said...

Beautifully said my dear