Maybe our spiritual birthdays are and maybe we'll call them "Happy Day I was Rescued!" or "Happy Day I became Truly Alive!". No, those sound kind of dorky. I bet God has better labels for such occasions.
But seriously, today I am wondering, do we celebrate in heaven the day we were birthed on the earth? I'm intrigued. I want to know. Since I can't know for sure, I'm going with pretending that I do. I mean when you don't have to worry about watching your figure anymore why would you not have cake?
Today is my Gram's first birthday in heaven and I am wondering if she's having some delicious cake only the angels could cook up. If so, she'd probably agree it was even better than her own yummy homemade pound cake. And if she's having cake today and blowing out an infinite number of candles than I really wish I could be there with her.
Today I am thinking of the 91 birthdays she celebrated here on earth and how many of them I DID get to be with her for. To be honest, I'm wishing for more than I got because I missed a good number of them. Wishing gets me nowhere though and so instead I'm remembering the many we celebrated in her house on Woolsey Street in Fair Haven, some I was too young to have clear memory pictures now. I remember more the cake and candles blown out in her home that was attached to mine, my favorite place that she ever lived. Then there are the milestone 70th and 80th that inspired larger gatherings of family. I especially remember her 80th when we surprised her and the look of delight on her face at being surrounded by those that she loved. She had a special place in her heart for moments like that and I think it was tops on her list of favorite things.
Today, even after a full lifetime of joyful, love-filled birthdays, I think this one will exceed all her expectations. Imagine celebrating the life you were given with the One who gave it to you! I can't even wrap my brain around that one.
Today she is completely and perfectly wrapped in a Love she only sampled here on earth, even when she was surrounded by those who deeply cherished her here. I am trying to picture the delight on her face now and I know it's more radiant than I can visualize. And in this moment I am really wishing for a front-row seat to that, more than I want a taste of that delectable cake.
I know that as much as I miss her, my longing for Jesus is a deeper, more immediate need. And I don't need to wait for heaven for His comforting, overwhelming Presence. He reminded me of that this morning.
Thank You Jesus! I am resting and yes, rejoicing, in that truth today.
Oh, and could You give Gram a hand with those candles for me? A hug too, please?
No comments:
Post a Comment