Comfy clothes (out with the sweatpants, in with the yoga pants), flannel sheets, electric blanket on winter nights, afghan on my lap when I'm reading with a cup of hot coffee, paid bills, hot showers...to name just a few.
And yet another which is way too high on the list and brings with it the most dire consequences...comfort food! Oh my do I love my carbs and sweets. I was going to put a few pictures here to emphasize my point but I'm afraid I might start salivating on the keyboard.
See, my dear husband and I have been on a bit of a dieting cleanse. It's only been 12 days but it has definitely been an UNcomfortable journey. More than my "innards" are getting cleaned out. I think God is tackling the residue on a few other places as well. I feel like I am in this place that is excited to see some differences in my body and in my perspective but then there is this other part of me that screams now and then for PASTA and JAVA CHIP ICE CREAM. I'd even settle for a Ritz cracker. See I can't even control my fingers. I'm in a tug of war. On this dreary and cold "where did spring go" Friday, my tastebud/physical cravings want to win...bad! So I thought if I put the battle in words and let the whole world (ok, maybe more like 13 people) see, my flesh would send up the white flag. Not sure if it's working yet.
I DO know that God wants to teach me so much more than how to control my body's cravings. I DO see that the things of this world I turn to for comfort only offer a very temporary satisfaction. I know these things yet I wonder sometimes about my heart. Does my heart truly believe this truth? Testing myself on the road of discomfort is bringing to light my tendencies...where/what I turn to when I am lonely, confused, doubtful, frustrated. I'm coming to see that it is not always Jesus, in fact He receives a very low percentage of my first reactions. The neat thing is that when you take away the convenient and temporal you narrow down your options. I feel sad that this is even necessary but I guess it's just a part of the dying process and THAT IS a daily requirement in Jesus following.
"For the bread of God is the bread that comes down from heaven and gives life to the world". John 6:33
THIS is bread that satisfies. THIS is what I want to long for, crave, seek after, holler for.
I'm praying this physical cleanse will rid me of more than my mama gut, though that will definitely be a nice perk.
I'm praying that I would choose first and find my greatest comfort in the life-giving Presence of the True and Eternal Bread.
No comments:
Post a Comment