Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Learning Gratitude


You may have heard of this book before. I came across it in my own blog browsing (a.k.a. stalking, and Angie that would be YOUR blog I got it from. Thanks!!).

Anyhow, on a whim, I ordered it in January and have just started reading it this month and now I understand what all the buzz was about. Ann Voskamp is a talented writer, and talented is really not even a fair choice of words. Far more than enjoying her story-telling though, my heart has been captivated.

In the past week or so I started a very practical journey that she introduces in her book, one that she herself has been on and still is. It's about the power of pen and paper, or pencil, most times, in my case. Words that I write in a little journal that I purchased for another purpose entirely. This is better.

I'm making a list, like many others are, yet mine is unique because it is my own personal glimpses of those things for which I am grateful, just as each list made is unique to it's creator. Each number represents small tangibles and moments I have often missed and I am now documenting them. My friend Jen gave me the great idea of using this small-sized journal so it is portable and now I am taking time in the van, the library, at church and other places to capture and write.

I am finding something in the process: my world looks a little different, the camera angle has shifted. There is more light shining on the small things, a greater sense of my Father's nearness. Slight changes but I can see them and I'm only on chapter 3 and my list is not yet at 50 and the goal is 1000+.

So thank you Angie for mentioning it on your blog and thank you Father for the gentle tug I saw as mere whim and thank you for the layers of my flesh You continue to peel back in moving me closer to the whole me. Some days those layers seem thick and too numerous to count but I am grateful that You are not daunted by them.

No comments: